|Image Found On Google|
In the last several months there has been a huge mess going on in the pagan community about whether or not Pagans/Wiccans/Witches/etc should put a price on their services.
My personal opinion is complicated, I think if your selling an actual product such as herbs, crystals, candles, books, or any other magickal product then yes it is OK to charge for these things. If you are giving an online educational course such as a course to become a certified crystal healer or herbalist then, yes by all means you should charge for that.
However if you are trying to sell spirituality or if your paying someone to teach you how to be spiritual, you should know that you can't learn to become spiritual; Spirituality is the awakening to the divine within you, and that just can't be taught.
That being said, if a person in the Pagan community is offering classes on such topics as the Sabbats, phases of the moon, a year and a day, etc and they want to charge for it and people are willing to pay for it there should not be an issue right?
Well this is where it gets complicated. I personally don't have a problem with the idea of teaching someone about Paganism/Wicca/Witchcraft for a fee, however I do have a major issue with some of the fees and what you do or don't get for the price you pay. I have seen some fees out there that are almost double that of a college course at a reputable college and you get nothing substantial out of them.
If your new to walking the Pagan path and your interested in such classes you should know a few things first.
1. There are literally hundreds of free online sources to get the same information.
2. No matter what you pay for a class there is nothing that can compare to your own experiences.
3. Read, Read, Read!!!! Oh and did I mention Read!
4. If you feel that you have to take an online course to learn how to be a Pagan/Wiccan/Witch, then please, please, please shop around don't just hop on the first one you see, or choose a teacher because he/she is popular. As with anything else in today's bigger is better, more expensive is better society that we live in, sometimes the unknown and the less expensive is better.
If your the person teaching said classes.
1. Be reasonable in your prices, it's OK to charge just don't over charge.
2. Remember when and how you started down your path and how you learned.
3. Remember to Harm Non, and that Karma can be a Bitch.
Lastly I want to say, whether or not you approve of Pagans/Wiccans/Witches/etc should putting a price on their services, what they do or don't do is between them and their Gods/Goddesses, and Karma it is on the individual to do the right thing, it is not for anyone to pass judgement or harass anyone because you disagree with their practice.
This is just my opinion on this subject and I would love to her yours. Feel free to comment, but please don't be nasty.